Holy Qurbana – 3
The Nicene Creed
We believe the following:
· In the one True God, the Father Almighty
· In the one Lord Jesus Christ who took birth for the salvation of humanity
· In the one living Holy Spirit
· In the One Holy, Catholic (universal) and Apostolic Church
· We acknowledge one baptism for the remission of sins
· In the Resurrection of the dead
· In the new life in the world to come
· St. Mary is described as the Mother of God and so this is a confession of faith against Nestorians
What does the priest pray privately in the kneeling position?
While the creed is being said, the priest turns to the clergy and people and asks for forgiveness and requests them to pray to the Lord to accept his oblations. The priest then kneels before the altar and beseeches the Lord for remission of sins and acceptance of his offering. The priest prays for and makes the sign of the cross with his right thumb on the altar mentioning the names of those alive and departed for whom prayers have been requested.
The deacon goes about the whole nave and returns to the altar. This signifies that:
o God the Word came down from heaven and offered himself for us all
o This is a sign for the un-baptized to leave